Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Christmas Gift from Christina



Uncle Russ and Jesse on Christmas Eve
My husband and I are traveling this Christmas Eve.  We pulled out one of the last CD mixes that Christina made.  If you knew her well, you knew that music spoke to the deep places of her heart.  The perfect song for the moment was what she was always looking for.  And then she would put on her headphones and worship her heart out.
She was also known for making appropriate mixes for her friends—if they were struggling, or if they were traveling, or just needed a little country music.  Receiving a “Christina mix” was always such a beautiful gift. 

And so we put in Christina’s last CD mix and made our way across the Snoqualmie Pass.

And we heard her heart.  Her heart that was so ready to see Jesus.  Longing to be with Him.  Willing to leave behind this world. 

Here are a few phrases from some of these 16 songs—treasures that display her heart.  I'm sorry I don't know all the names or composers of these songs.

“There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears.
We will see Jesus face to face.”

“Come to me.  You who are weak.  Let my strength be yours tonight.
Come and rest, let my love be your bed.  Let my heart be yours tonight.
Peace be still.  Peace be still.  Please be still and know that I am God.”

“Come all ye weary and ye broken.
Come to the table of the Lord.
Come sing a song of the forgiven.
Come lay your burden on the Word.”

“When the storm is raging all around me
You are the peace that calms my troubled sea.
When the cares of this world darken my day
You are the light that shines and shows me the way.”

“I hear the voice of the One I love.
He’s calling my name.
He’s saying, “Come up higher and hear the angels sing.
Come up higher my beloved.
Come up higher and leave this world behind.
I am running.  Running after You.
You have become my soul’s delight.
I am running.  Running after You.
Here with you I find my life.”

“There is a peace I’ve come to know, though my heart and flesh may fail.
There’s an anchor for my soul, I can say, “It is well.”
Jesus has overcome and the grave is overwhelmed.
The victory is won.
He is risen from the dead.
And I will rise when He calls my name.
No more sorrow, no more pain.
I will rise on eagles’ wings.
Before my God fall on my knees and rise.
I will rise.
And I hear the voice of many angels sing--
Worthy is the Lamb.
And I hear the cry of every longing heart--
Worthy is the Lamb.”


I hear in these songs a heart that struggled toward peace and longed for all that Jesus offers us.  What a gift to my heart this Christmas as I miss my beautiful daughter who reflected Jesus wherever she went.

If you are struggling this Christmas, I wish you the peace of Jesus, the Strength of His touch, and the promise of being in His presence forever--

Tonight, we gathered together with our extended family and worshiped.  We sang some of Christina's favorite songs and listened to a little video of her talking about heaven.  Our hearts are full and thankful.  Merry Christmas.







2 comments: